Tuesday, February 28, 2012

we have enough- Elizabeth Canham


We Have Enough
Elizabeth Canham

"Knowing that we have enough takes us out of the never-ending tension created by greed, out of the constant envy of others that causes us to overlook our own riches, and out of the turmoil of unmet desires.
Traveling back one afternoon to the seminary where I taught two decades ago, I found a seat on the upper deck of a red London bus. Smoking was permitted 'upstairs,' so I usually chose seats below, but on this day they were all full. Maybe God wanted me 'upstairs' that day, for as we journeyed south along the Old Kent Road, a sign painted high on a building caught my eye: CLUTCH CLINIC.
It took a few moments for me to realize that the advertisement referred to an automobile service center specializing in the repair of defective clutches, for I heard the advertisement that day as God's invitation.
"Supposing you spent time in my clutch clinic," God seemed to say. "What are some of the things you need to relinquish so that your hands can be open, ready to receive the grace I wait to give?"

Beloved, do you have enough yet? What is enough? Can you put a stick in the shore and wait until the tide rises above that stick and say, thank you God for all that you have given me, and pursue no more? Will you be like most everyone else and change your level of "need" ?
Beloved when the day is over and your game has been played will you have realized how much is enough, or will you forever pursue more?

If we do this thing right, we might just get out of here alive!

1 comment:

  1. Goodness Fred. God is convicting me today reading all your posts. I'm always in need of MORE. If only I had more money to pay off these bills. If only I had more money so we could finally go as a family on a trip out west. If only, if only, if only... The list is long. I need to live and love what I have, and praise God for the blessing above what we have. However I do remember being taught that God wants to bless us, we just have to ask, but then again He can say NO to a specific request ;)

    ReplyDelete